Innovation Center for Artificial Intelligence (ICAI) Labs
The National Innovation Center for Artificial Intelligence (ICAI) has a mission to keep the Netherlands at the forefront of knowledge and talent development in AI. An ICAI Lab is a research collaboration between industrial, governmental or not-for-profit partners and a knowledge institute.
The UvA is part of the following ICAI Labs:
- AIM Lab (AI for Medical Imaging), a collaboration between the Inception Institute of Artificial Intelligence and the UvA, which focuses on using artificial intelligence for medical image recognition.
- AI for Retail (AIR) Lab Amsterdam, a joint UvA-Ahold Delhaize industry lab, which conducts research into socially responsible algorithms that can be used to make recommendations to consumers and into transparent AI technology for managing goods flows.
- Atlas Lab, a collaboration between ‘location technology specialist’ TomTom and UvA, which focuses on using AI for developing advanced, highly accurate and safe high definition maps for self-driving vehicles.
- Civic AI Lab (CAIL), a collaboration between the City of Amsterdam, VU Amsterdam and the UvA, focuses on applying AI in the fields of education, welfare, environment, mobility and health.
- DELTA Lab (Deep Learning Technologies Amsterdam), a collaboration between Bosch and the UvA, performs research into the fundamentals of deep learning, with applications to automotive and computer vision.
- Discovery Lab, a collaboration between Elsevier, VU Amsterdam and the UvA, aims to study and develop technology, infrastructure and methods to support the current transformation of science. The focus is on data-driven activity, where scientists increasingly rely on intelligent tooling for searching and reading scientific literature, to formulate hypotheses, and to interpret data.
- Police Lab AI, a joint initiative of the Dutch Police, Utrecht University and the UvA, aims to develop state-of-the-art AI techniques to improve safety in the Netherlands in a socially, legally and ethically responsible way.
- QUVA Lab, a collaboration between Qualcomm and the UvA, performs research on 'deep vision': using deep learning to automatically interpret what's happening where, when and why in images and video.