For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
Bekijk de site in het Nederlands

European Health Insurance

If you are not employed, and you are a citizen from the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you can apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

You can obtain the European Health Insurance Card free of charge by contacting your local health authority. EHIC will cover the costs for essential basic health care and emergency health care.


EHIC gives limited coverage for medical expenses. It will cover the most basic health care cost and medical emergency expenses. For example:

  • General Practitioner
  • Maternity care
  • Hospital care

If you have any questions about the EHIC coverage or reimbursement of medical costs, please contact Zilveren Kruis through their website or call + 31 (0) 71 751 00 52.

Dental costs

Please note that an EHIC does not cover dental costs if you are over 18. Ensure your health insurance company at home covers dental care costs abroad, or take out supplemental medical insurance, including dental care.

Whole period

Please check if you are covered for the whole period of your stay in the Netherlands. The university is not responsible for you taking sufficient coverage.

Supplemental medical insurance for EU students

Before deciding about supplemental insurance, please always check your insurance coverage in your home country first. Will they cover the complete period of your stay abroad? And what type of coverage does it consist of? You are advised to take out supplemental medical insurance to cover the medical (and dental) care costs that the EHIC does not cover.

AON Student Insurance

You can take out supplemental medical insurance at a private insurance company, such as AON Student Insurance.

Dutch insurance is required with a job or paid internship

If you are not employed, private health insurance for international students will most likely suffice for you.

You are required to take out Dutch basic health insurance:

  • If you start a (part-time) job
  • If you start an internship that pays at least the Dutch minimum wage