For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
You are using a browser that is no longer supported by Microsoft. Please upgrade your browser. The site may not present itself correctly if you continue browsing.

Examination Appeals Board FAQs

When should I lodge an objection?

If you do not agree with a decision taken by, for example, the Examinations Board of your study programme (for instance regarding the order, approval, marking or resits of courses, practical training, examinations or papers), you should first attempt to resolve the problem in consultation with the Examinations Board itself. Do take note of the time limit, however, as you must lodge any objection within six weeks of the date on which you were informed of the decision. If informal consultation does not lead to a resolution, you can appeal to the Examination Appeals Board, or CBE (College van Beroep voor de Examens).

Can the Examination Appeals Board reassess my examination?

No. As a rule, exam results can be determined solely on the basis of assessment by the authorised examiner. The CBE has limited powers of evaluation and can only assess whether the examination board or examiner had a reasonable basis for forming their opinion. The duties and powers of the CBE therefore do not extend to assessing or reassessing exams.

If you do not agree with an exam result, you are advised to consult with the lecturer in question in order to seek a resolution. Do note however that a request for reassessment by the lecturer does not affect the time period for lodging an appeal.

I don’t agree with the decision taken by the Examination Appeals Board. What should I do?

If you do not agree with the decision taken by the CBE, you have six weeks in which to lodge an appeal with the Appeals Tribunal for Higher Education (

Such an appeal must be submitted within six weeks after the date of the decision regarding the objection.

I can’t collect all the details I need for my objection/appeal within the stated time limit.

If you need more time, you can submit what is known as a ‘pro forma’ objection or appeal. This means you provide timely written notification of your opposition to the decision and are granted an additional period of time within which to submit your grounds.

I missed the deadline to submit an objection/appeal. Can I still do so?

As a rule, if you submit an objection or appeal past the deadline, it will not be considered. However, if your reason for missing the deadline can be attributed to very exceptional personal circumstances beyond your control, the objection/appeal may still be admitted. Note that such circumstances are rarely deemed to exist as there is a built-in provision allowing for the submission of a ‘pro forma’ objection/appeal.