For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!

Employee objections FAQs

When should I lodge an objection?

You can lodge an objection if you do not agree with a decision taken in relation to you that affects your legal status as an employee. When you lodge an objection, you are asking the administrative body responsible to reconsider the decision it took.

Examples of decisions against which employees may lodge an objection include:

  • salary cut
  • transfer
  • termination of employment
  • change of duties
  • penalties

Objections must be submitted within no more than six weeks of the day on which the decision was issued.

When should I lodge an appeal?

If you do not agree with the decision regarding the objection, you can file an appeal with the court’s administrative law sector. That means you must first complete the objection procedure before you can file an appeal.

Appeals must be submitted within no more than six weeks of the day on which the decision on the objection was issued.

I can’t collect all the details I need for my objection/appeal within the stated time limit.

If you need more time, you can submit what is known as a ‘pro forma’ objection or appeal. This means you provide timely written notification of your opposition to the decision and are granted an additional period of time within which to submit your grounds.

I missed the deadline to submit an objection/appeal. Can I still do so?

As a rule, if you submit an objection or appeal past the deadline, it will not be considered. However, if your reason for missing the deadline can be attributed to very exceptional personal circumstances beyond your control, the objection/appeal may still be admitted. Note that such circumstances are rarely deemed to exist as there is a built-in provision allowing for the submission of a ‘pro forma’ objection/appeal.